A History of Devoted Care
Originally the site of a private residence, the Home came into existence in 1930 and was first operated by the National Catholic Women’s Union (NCWU) as an institution for the chronically ill. On February 3, 1932, at the request of Cardinal John Glennon, four members of the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George came to St. Louis and began nursing duties at the small institution. The Sisters remained employees of the NCWU until 1935, when the Home was purchased by their religious order.
Initially, Mother of Good Counsel Home was a 22-bed facility, essentially a small house surrounded by trees and rolling hills. When the Sisters took over the nursing home, changes were made to increase the capacity to 27 beds. But as news of the home’s devotion and exemplary care to the elderly spread, the demand for greater capacity grew. During the last three-quarters of the 20th century, the Home was renovated and expanded eight times. The first expansion commenced in 1937; the most recent renovation began in 2008.
The last phase of construction, overseen by BSI Constructors of St. Louis, was finished in December 2008 and added 9,600 square feet to the home. The design, developed by the Clayton architectural firm of Christner, Inc., included new common areas featuring large windows and peaceful lighting. For residents who cannot venture outdoors, the windows invite nature in while offering the glow of sunlight to all. A cozy great room with a stone fireplace provides residents and families with a comfortable setting in which generations connect to share love and stories and make happy memories together.
Dining areas were much improved with big open windows and a cozy fireplace. Bathrooms in the resident rooms were enlarged; new lighting brightened all spaces; and large visiting areas were created for families’ use and enjoyment. As part of the Sisters’ commitment to provide the best care possible, the nursing stations were also upgraded.
Come, experience our Home! Become a part of our History.