Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George
Present here since 1932, the Sisters are integrated into every aspect of the Home.
Sisters serving in every area
Our Sisters serve in Administration, Activities, Nursing, Pastoral Care, Sacristan, Caring for the Convent, Finance, Grounds-keeping, and more!
Love for the Universal Church
Who are the Sisters at the Home?
One of the most distinguishable aspects about the Home is the fact that it is intentionally connected to the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George.
Not only do the Sisters own the Home, but they live and work on-site as well!
Usually about 10-12 Sisters reside on the grounds at the Mother of Good Counsel Home and serve the residents in various capacities. It is a joy for families and residents
The Sisters of St. Francis of the
Martyr St. George
In 1869, Mother M. Anselma Bopp, in collaboration with Father Gerard Dall, founded the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George in Thuine, a small village in northwest Germany.
Father Dall desired to have Sisters for his people and to establish a home for needy children and the sick. The dream of Father Dall was realized, in 1857, with the arrival of two Sisters of the Holy Cross from Strassbourg, Sister M. Anselma and Sister Marianne.
Over the years, the Sisters discerned the need for a new religious congregation, and then God’s call to serve in various missions throughout the world. Our Sisters strive to make visible the merciful love of Christ in myriad activities, with a special desire to serve the needs of the Church.
In St. Louis, our Sisters have continuously served the needs of the aged and infirm here at the Home since 1932 and remain committed to the best possible care for those entrusted to us.
The Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George have continued to imbue the spirit of their foundress Mother M. Anselma Bopp. With a steadfast desire to receive Christ’s merciful love and make that very gift visible to others, they serve in 9 countries currently.
The Sisters’ charism to “make the Merciful Love of Christ visible,” is especially a source of encouragement and foundation for our mission here at the Mother of Good Counsel Home.
Within the Home, we have 11 Sisters in various apostolates. Their constant presence on-site is also a distinct feature at our Home. The Sisters pray together multiple times a day in our chapel (starting at 5am!), serve our residents, families, and mission partners throughout the Home, bring Holy Communion to Catholic residents unable to attend Mass, and also visit each resident during nightly blessings.
To learn more about the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George, visit their website or talk to one of the Sisters at the Home!